Did you know that self employed bookkeepers have to be supervised by law? Bookkeepers are classed as Accountancy Service Providers (ASP’s) and must be registered.
You must register directly with HMRC (and pay a fee) unless you are supervised by one of the following bodies:-
- Association of Accounting Technicians
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Association of International Accountants
- Association of Taxation Technicians
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Taxation
- Financial Conduct Authority
- Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
- Institute of Financial Accountants
- International Association of Book-keepers
- Law Society
If you are not supervised by one of the above, go to HMRC’s website.
Note that employed bookkeepers are except from this rule.